Paid search marketing is a quick and easy way to get listed on Google and other search engines for the keywords that are related to your business. Unfortunately, paid search marketing is also very expensive. Search engine optimization (SEO) can help you to save money while getting more targeted visitors at the same time.
What is the difference between SEO and paid search marketing?
- SEO (search engine optimization) concentrates on the regular “organic” results on Google, Yahoo, Bing, and other search engines. If your website is listed in the regular results, you don’t have to pay for each click.
- If you use paid search marketing to advertise your website on search engines, you pay for every click. Your website will appear in the “sponsored results” section of the search results page.
Organic SEO provides lasting results
- Paid search marketing is great because it provides quick results. You will get the first visitors minutes after the launch of your paid search campaign. Unfortunately, you won’t get any more visitors as soon as you stop paying.
- To achieve high rankings in the organic search results, you have to develop good web pages and good links that point to your site. It takes much longer to get high rankings with SEO. Fortunately, most websites keep their rankings for a long time.
- In the long run, SEO is a much better value than paid search marketing. If you have a business that is meant to stay, SEO is the way to go.
Organic SEO forces you to improve your website
- If you use paid search marketing, your website will get visitors because you pay for them. With SEO, you get website visitors because your website is good.
- If you use SEO to promote your website, you are forced to optimize your web pages: the content, the usability, etc. Although this requires more work, your website and your revenue will benefit greatly from these changes.
Organic SEO integrates with social media
- Social media can help you to increase the number of links that you get from other sites, which will result in higher rankings in Google’s regular results: create a new page on your website, then mention it on Facebook or tweet about your new page.
- You will get new visitors through social media sites and some of these visitors will link to your website, which has a positive influence on your SEO campaigns.
Paid search marketing is great if you have the money and if you need website visitors now. If you want to get high rankings that last without paying for every single click, use SEO to promote your site. At the end of the day, SEO has a much better return-on-investment.