What is WordPress?
- WordPress is open source software you can use to create a beautiful website or blog. It just may be the easiest and most flexible blogging and website content management system (CMS) for beginners.
- In non-geek speak, WordPress is the most popular web publishing software you can use to create your own website or blog. Since it was released in 2003, WordPress has become one of the most popular web publishing platforms. Today it powers nearly 30 percent of the entire web — from hobby blogs to some of the biggest news sites online.
- Most of clients have heard of Wix, Weebly, or Squarespace, they’ve run TV ads, and done all kinds of marketing so most of us are familiar with them. WordPress does little, if any, marketing. They grow mainly via developers like us. We typically build you a website and then teach you to use it. But WordPress is now used by everyone, from beginners to pros, you’ll find just about everyone using it.
- In the past 10 years we’ve developed OVER 2000 websites using the WordPress platform for clients all over Maine and beyond.
Why should I be using WordPress?
From Do-It-Yourselfer’s to having a professional developer, WordPress should be your first choice!
- First, it’s incredibly flexible and extensible. There are thousands of plugins and themes that enable you to easily change the entire look of your website, or even add new features like a mailing list, photo gallery, or an online store.
- Second, it’s easy to use and learn. You don’t need to hire a web designer every time you want to make a small change to your website. Instead, you can easily update and create your own content — without having to learn how to code. In fact, if you know how to use the basic formatting tools in a program like Microsoft Word, you can edit your site.
- Third, if you run into problems, or you want to add custom features, it’s easy to find support, and we’re here to help you every step fo the way. In addition to our WordPress tutorials on this site, there are also dozens of in-depth articles in our WordPress Knowledgeable, as well a the official WordPress Forum to get answers to your questions.
- WordPress is also SEO-friendly. Right out of the box, WordPress includes everything you need to ensure that your content is optimized for search engines. This is critical to your site’s visibility and online success. Matt Cutts of Google says, “WordPress is made to do SEO well.”
- Last, you’re in control of your own content. Other publishing platforms (ie: Wix, Weebly, SquareSpace) limit what you can and can’t do on your own website. And, you’re locked in to that service. If it should ever shut down, your content could simply disappear. With WordPress, you can import your content from other systems like Blogger or Tumblr. And you can also easily export your data to move away from WordPress or move to another host, should you choose. You’re in control of your site… and your content.
So don’t ask yourself “What is WordPress” any longer, start using it today!
Also check out: