Mistake 1: having a website that is not crawlable
- According to Matt Cutts, the biggest SEO mistake is having a website that is not crawlable by search engines.
- If your website is not crawlable, search engines cannot index your pages and your web pages won’t be listed on Google.
- By correcting these issues, you make sure that search engines can index all of your pages correctly.
Mistake 2: including the wrong words on your web pages
- Using the wrong words on your web pages is the second biggest mistake.
- For example, he says that you should write “How high is Mount Everest” instead of “Mt. Everest Height” on your pages because that is how people search on Google.
Mistake 3: focusing on the wrong things
- Some webmasters focus on link building before they have compelling content on their web pages.
- Although backlinks are the most important factor in Google’s algorithm, it is more important that your website has good content.
- Without good content, your website won’t get high rankings.
Mistake 4: forgetting to think about titles and descriptions
- The title and the description of a web page have a big influence on the performance of the page on search engines.
- Compelling web page titles and descriptions lead to more clicks and more visitors.
Mistake 5: not learning about how Google works and what SEO is about
- But that’s not necessarily the “Webmasters” job. Mastering Google and gaining advanced knowledge about Search Engine Optimization can be (and is) a full time job.
- Not outsourcing these task to a reputable SEO Firm is sometimes the biggest mistake.
3 More SEO Articles YOU Should Read:
- 4 Building Blocks to High Search Engine Rankings
- Fear, uncertainty and doubt: some webmasters change good links
- 5 steps to a successful SEO campaign