We’ve repeatledy told you why Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is important.
- Think about the search terms you think people will use to find your site. Think about the searches where you want to appear. Make a list of those words and include them in your site content. Weave them into your text repeatedly (but not obnoxiously.) This should happen somewhat automatically, if you have relevant content. But if you’re aware that it’s part of SEO, you can make your content do some more work for you.
- Here’s a great description of meta tags. They’re the title, description, and keywords of your website, placed in the code of the site but not visible to visitors. Having the correct meta tags will again increase your search rankings.
- When you upload an image to your website, there’s likely a spot asking for an “alt tag.” If you skip over this, your site doesn’t lose any obvious functionality for the average visitor. So it’s tempting to ignore them. However, there are a couple compelling reasons to fill them in each and every time:
Google will penalize you if you don’t have alt tags
- Your search engine ranking will suffer. Therefore, make sure you include those keywords, the ones you think people will use in searches to find you, in your alt tags.
- When a blind person uses the computer to read websites aloud, the computer will read the alt tags to tell the person what’s in the picture
Optimizing Tags With WordPress
- WordPress offers you several tools for optimizing alt tags for images, to your Meta Tags for title, description and keyphrases to pages.
It’s one important way to maximize your return on the investment in your website!