Finding the right balance between several factors is important for many things in life.
Search engine optimization is no different. If you want to get high rankings on Google, Bing or other major search engines, than you have to find the right balance between on-site factors and off-site factors.
Both influence the position of your website in the search results. Which factors are more important and what exactly should you do to improve the position of your site?
What is the definition of these factors?
1. On-site optimization refers to the factors that you can control on your web site:
- The text on your web page.
- The number of web pages on your website.
- The number of keywords and related keywords on your web pages.
- The links on your web pages to other pages of your site.
- The links on your web pages to other websites.
- The structure of your website.
- The robots.txt of your site.
- The HTML code of your web pages.
2. Off-site optimization refers to the ranking factors that are usually out of your control. The most important off-site factor are the links to your web site:
- The number of backlinks that point to your website.
- The quality of the backlinks that point to your website.
- How often your website is bookmarked on social bookmark sites.
- How often your website is mentioned on services such as Twitter.
Search engines determine the position of your website in the search results based on the on-site and the off-site factors of your website.
What is more important for your website?
Some webmasters invest most of their time in on-site optimization. Others swear that links from other websites are the only way to get high rankings on Google.
Depending on the keywords for which you optimize your website, you can achieve good results with both methods.
You will get the best possible results for your website, if you combine both factors:
You need both factors to get good results
If you optimize the on-site factors of your website than you make it as easy as possible for search engine spiders to parse your web pages.
The content of your web pages should contain the right elements and the right keywords in the right places so that search engines know what your website is about.
Links from other websites that contain your target keywords show search engines that other people also find your website relevant to a certain topic. If other people mention your website on social bookmark services then search engines know that real people like your website.
Analyze the on-site and the off-site factors of your web pages
If you want to get high rankings for a certain keyword, analyze the web page for which you want to get high rankings with the MHS Top 10 Optimizer.
The optimizer will tell you how to correct the on-site elements of your web page and how to change the links so that your website gets top 10 rankings on Google and other search engines for any chosen keyword.
Finding the perfect balance between on-site and off-site optimization is easy with the top 10 optimizer. If you follow the advice of the MHS Top 10 Optimizer, you’ll get the rankings that your website deserves.
Improve Your Site With WebSEO PRO
No matter how good your company is, some people will always write something negative about your site, even if you tried your best to help them.
Some customers might write negative comments about your company in their blogs or some of your competitors might like to damage your reputation by creating fake comments about your site.
What can you do if web pages with negative comments appear on Google’s first result page for your company name?
1. Fix the problem
- If people write negative reviews about your company, the first thing that you should do is to fix the problem that caused the negative review.
2. It doesn’t hurt to ask
- Send the webmaster of the web page with the negative review a polite email and ask for removal of the negative comments. Many webmasters will cooperate if you explain the issue.
3. Give web pages with positive comments a boost
- If the webmaster does not want to remove the negative review, find websites that contain positive comments about your site. Link to these pages from your own website to increase the link popularity of these pages. The more links the pages with the positive reviews have, the higher they will be ranking in the search results. If appropriate, bookmark web pages with positive remarks about your website on social bookmark sites such as Digg and Delicious.
4. Ask for testimonials from happy customers
- If you receive positive feedback from customers, ask them to write a review on ConsumerReview.com, Epinions.com or similar sites.
5. Add your website to company wiki pages
- Websites like AboutUs.org allow you to create an article about your company. If your company is important enough, you might even create an entry in Wikipedia. These Wiki pages will also appear in the search results when someone searches for your company name.
6. Make sure that your own website tops the search results
Removing negative comments from the search engine results can take some time. It’s best to avoid negative experiences at the outset by providing high quality products and good customer support.
Official search engine statement: link building do’s and don’ts
Bing recently published a document about link building. Although it focuses on how Bing deals with inbound links, it can also help you to get better links for Google, Yahoo and other search engines. The most important points of Bing’s document can be found in this article.
The importance of link building
The Bing engineers know that link building is important and they describe link building as follows:
“Link building is a very important form of self-promotion on the Web. You contact webmasters of other, related websites and let them know your site exists. If the value that you have worked so hard to instill in your site is evident to them, they will assist their own customers by linking back to your site. That, my friend, is the essence of link building.”
In other words, reciprocal linking is fine. They also remind webmasters that link building is an ongoing process:
“Think of link building as your chance to build your reputation on the Web. As your website is likely one of your business’ most valuable assets, consider link building to be a primary business-building exercise. Just don’t make the mistake of believing it will result in instant gratification. Successful link building efforts require a long-term commitment, not an overnight or turnkey solution.You need to continually invest in link building efforts with creativity and time. Good things come to those who wait (and work smartly!).”
Things that you can do to get good links to your website
Here are the things that Bing recommends:
- You should develop your website as a brand and brand it consistently. People like to link to high quality websites.
- You should find relevant bloggers, industry websites and product reviewers and make them aware of your website.
- You can publish concise and informative press releases online.
- You can publish expert articles in article directories.
- You can participate in relevant conversations on blogs and forums and add a link to your website when applicable.
- You can use social networks to connect to industry influencers. Your profiles should contain links to your website.
- You can use email newsletters to notify people about new content on your website.
- You can launch a blog or a forum on your website.
- You can participate in relevant industry associations and their online forums.
- You should strive to become a trusted expert voice for your industry while promoting your website.
Warning: the following things will get your website in trouble
Just like Google and other major search engines, Bing doesn’t like to be cheated. If they detect unnatural linking patterns, your website might be penalized. The following things can trigger search engine filters:
- Your website get a lot of additional inbound links a very short time.
- Many links that point to your website are from unrelated websites or blog comments.
- Your web pages contain hidden links.
- You get links from links farms or automated link exchange systems.
- Paid links point to your website.
- Known spammers link to your website.
- Your website links to known spammers.
Here’s what Bing does when they find suspicious data that is related to your website:
“When probable manipulation is detected, a spam rank factor is applied to a site, depending upon the type and severity of the infraction. If the spam rating is high, a site can be penalized with a lowered rank. If the violations are egregious, a site can be temporarily or even permanently purged from the index.”
Getting inbound links requires some work. The Bing engineers are very clear about this fact: “Make no mistake: getting legitimate and highly valuable, inbound links is not a couch-potato task.”
Depending on the keywords for which you want to get high rankings, you have to employ different tactics. Keywords with less competition require different tactics than keywords with high competition.
The effect of different SEO tactics on the position of your website in the search results
- If you target long keyword phrases with little competition, then the relative value of on-page web page optimization is very high.
- For example, if you want to be listed for the search term “buy black adidas samba sneaker in knoxville” then it is enough to optimize one of your web pages for that search term because the competition for that search term is not high. You don’t need many inbound links to get high rankings for that keyphrase.
- The more competitive the targeted keyword is, the higher is the effect of inbound links on the position of your website in the search results:
The importance of an SEO tactic is not the same as its relative effect on your search engine positions
- By taking a look at the chart above you might get the impression that web page optimization is not important to get high rankings for very competitive keywords. That is not the case. Optimizing the contents of a web page is the essential basis for high search engine rankings.
- By optimizing a web page for a keyphrase, you tell search engines that the web page is relevant to that keyphrase. If more than one web page has been optimized for that keyphrase (which is usually the case) then the web page with the best inbound links will get the highest position in the search results.
- For example, the website www.cnn.com has 46,600 inbound links according to Google. Although CNN.com has so many inbound links, they do not rank for the keyword “buy black adidas samba sneaker in knoxville” because the website has not been optimized for that keyphrase.
- If you want to get high rankings for a keyphrase, the first step is to optimize one of your web pages for that keyphrase. Then work on the links that point to the optimized web page to outrank other websites that have been optimized for the same keyword:
Which tactic should you use for your website?
1. The best web page optimization tactic:
- When you optimize your website, optimize different pages of your website for different keyphrases. Start with longer keyword phrases that don’t have much competition and then proceed with more competitive keywords.
- For example, start with the keywords “buy sneakers in knoxville”, “buy cowboy boots in knoxville”, “buy pumps in knoxville”, “shoe shop knoxville”, etc. When you have managed to get high rankings for many of these keyphrases, Google will know that your website is relevant to the topic “shoes”.
- As soon as Google knows that your website is relevant to the topic, it will be much easier to get high rankings for more competitive keywords such as “buy shoes” or even “shoes”.
- The more pages of your website you optimize for different but related keywords, the better.
2. The best link building tactic:
- It’s not always necessary that you have more links than your competitors. You need better links.
- Try to get links to your website that use the targeted keyphrase as the link text (also called anchor text) and that point to the web page on your website that has been optimized for that keyphrase.
- Don’t focus on quantity, focus on quality. Getting hundreds of links from a link farm won’t help your website as much a few dozen links from relevant web pages with authority.
If your website has both optimized web pages and good inbound links then it will be easy to outrank web pages that only have one factor.
Now go optimize your individual pages!